The budget session of Parliament begins on January 29 and will go on till February 9. Today Economic Survey is presented in Parliament. President Ram Nath Kovind had addressed a joint session of both the Houses and many have highlighted various government schemes.
Check some of his mentions:
1) Baba Saheb Ambedkar had said that without economic and social democracy, political democracy is unstable.
2) We will realise the dream of ‘New India’ in 2018.
3) It is our duty to make our country completely clean by the time we celebrate Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary in 2019.
4) Actions undertaken by the government, including approving a bill granting working woman paid maternity leave of 26 weeks.
5) The government is committed to double the income of farmers by the year 2022.
6) 2.70 lakh Common Service Centres have been set up across the nation. These centres provide digital services at low rates, even in the far-off remote areas.
7) Respect for Muslim women remained hostage to political gains and loss for many decades. Now the country has got an opportunity to get rid of this situation. I hope the Triple Talaq Bill will be passed soon so that Muslim women can live a life of dignity and without fear.
8) To bring everyone closer to development, work under ‘Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana’ is being done speedily. In 2014 only 56% villages were connected by roads, today more than 82% villages have road connectivity with the majority being in remote areas.
9) Empowerment, and not appeasement of minorities, is our government’s mantra.
10) It is a matter of pride for us that UNESCO recognised Kumbh Mela as ‘Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity’.
11) The government has increased minimum wage of labourers by more than 40 per cent.
12) With help of Aadhaar, facilities are reaching poor beneficiaries directly without involvement of middlemen.
13) Digital transactions are being done for over 400 policies of present govt. This has saved over Rs 57,000 crore from going into wrong hands.
14) There should be more discussion on simultaneous state and Lok Sabha elections.
15) Our fight against corruption is continuing. In the past one year, registration of about 350,000 suspicious companies have been cancelled.
16) I appreciate the soldiers and offer condolences to those who lost their lives in action. J&K Police, defence and paramilitary forces are working together to fight terrorism in J&K.
17) “Under the ‘Jan Dhan Yojana’, so far, about 31 crore bank accounts have been opened for the poor. Women have especially benefited from the scheme with the percentage of savings bank accounts held by them going up to more than 40% from the earlier 28%.”
18) Poor women have given ‘Prime Minister Ujjwala Yojana’ an opportunity to equate women with facilities and solve an unseen side of social justice. So far, more than 34 million gas connections have been provided under the scheme.
19) The ‘Beti Bachao Beti Practice’ scheme to end discrimination with daughters. Given the positive results of this scheme, its scope has now been increased from 161 districts to 640 districts.
20) Government is also committed to the social security of the elderly. Nearly 80 lakh senior citizens are benefitting under the ‘Atal Pension Scheme’.
21) Government has made available insurance plans to the poor at a rupee per month and 90 paisa per day premium. So far, more than 18 crore poor have joined ‘Prime Minister’s Security Insurance Scheme’ and ‘Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana’.
22) Work has started to connect villages with Broadband connectivity. 2.5 lakh Panchayats have already been connected so far.
23) 800 types of medicines are being given to the poor at cheaper rates through ‘Prime Minister’s Pharmaceuticals’ centers. The number of these centers has reached 3,000.
24) Under the ‘Deendayal Amrit Yojana’, a concession of more than 5,200 life-saving branded medicines and surgical implants is being given from 60 percent to 90 percent by 111 outlets.
25) In order to increase the availability of doctors, 13 thousand seats of MBBS and more than 7,000 posts of Post Graduate have been approved. In order to ensure quality and transparency in medical education, the government has also introduced ‘National Medical Commission Bill’ in the Lok Sabha.
26) More than 2,400 ‘Atal Tinkering Labs’ have been approved under ‘Atal Innovation Mission’ by my government, so that the foundation of entrepreneurship and creativity can be put into the children from a young age.
27) ‘Bhima App’ is playing a big role in promoting digital transactions. More than 100 public utilities have been made available on mobile by the recently launched ‘Umang App’.
28) More than 28 crore LED bulbs have been distributed in the country under ‘Ujala Yojana’. More than 500 million LED bulbs have been sold by the private sector. This will save the poor and middle class electricity bill more than Rs 40,000 crore annually.
29) My government has paid outstanding amount of more than Rs. 10,000 crores to more than 2 million retired soldiers while fulfilling their promise of ‘One Rank One Pension’.
30) For the economic integration of the country, the government has done the biggest tax reform after Independence in the form of Goods and Services Tax. National Anti-Profiteering Authority has also been constituted by my government to provide the benefits of lowering prices to consumers.
31) In 2022, when our country celebrates 75 years of independence, achieving these goals will not only fulfill the dreams of freedom fighters and nation-makers, but will also strengthen the foundation of new India.
32) Come together, let us all go together to achieve the ideals of our constitution and brotherhood, move in one direction, walk one loyally, and proceed with full energy for the creation of a grand India. Jai Hind!