During the festival of Navratri, Goddess Durga Devi is worshiped in nine avatars. During these nine holy days, each day of goddess Durga Mata is worshiped in different avatara. It is celebrated with immense zeal and enthusiasm all over the country. On the second day of the navratri festival, devotees offer prayers to Maa Brahmacharini also known as Uma or Parvati.
Mata Brahmacharini is worshipped on second day of Navarathri. Brahmacharini is the goddess who performed ‘Tapa’ (penance) (Brahma – Tapa , Charini – Performer ). Mata personifies love and loyalty.
The appearance of goddess Brahmacharini is quiet and absorbed in meditation. She holds ‘Japa mala’ in her right hand and ‘Kamandal’ in left hand. She is also called as ‘Uma’ and ‘Tapacharini’ and provides knowledge and wisdom to her devotees. This second form of the goddess gives infallible fruits. By worshiping her virtues like penancing, renouncing, dispassion, ethical conduct and restraint in a person is increased. The blessing of the goddess helps in achieving success and wisdom.
During Navratri festival, people usually for fasting for seven or eight days. In Navratri festival, people who observe fast consume special food and dishes which is not made-up of any kind of common salt and spice.
Saboodana khichadi is popular vrat recipe which is made on fasting days of Navratri. Here we are going to share a receipe of Saboodana Khichdi that you and your family members can eat in your fasting days. Sabudana cooked with potatoes & crushed peanuts make the dish delicious. It is very simple to make & good in taste, it is widely used as breakfast, snacks & available as street food also.
Preparation Time: 6 – 8 Mins.
Cooking Time: 15 Mins.
People to Serve: 4
Ingredients for Recipe of Saboodana Khichadi:
- Saboodana: 1 cup
- Potato: 2 Medium Size
- Tomatoes: 1 Cup (finely Chopped)
- Peanuts: ½ Cup
- Coriander leaves: ¼ cup (chopped)
- Green Chilies: 1Tbsp (chopped)
- Cumin seeds (Jeera): ½ Tbsp
- Rock salt (Sendha Namak): According to taste
- Desi Ghee: 1Tbsp
How to make Saboodana Khichdi:
- First of all properly wash and soak saboodana in water 2 -3 times. Then soak them in water for 4 – 5 hours. Use a flat bottom vessel for soaking. Every 2 – 3 hrs fluff them with the help of a fork. It is not necessary to check again and again and fluff saboodana. It is simple process to get perfectly soft centered pearly sabudana. After soaking saboodana for 4-5 hours it will double in volume.
- During soaking process you can chop the potatoes into small cubes and put them into water till you start to cook.
- Now get a pan and put ghee into it to heat-up. Now add cumin seeds and hing.
- When the cumin seeds start to crackle then add the green chilies and curry leaves.
- Now add the chopped potatoes and stir well. Let them cook till they are light brown on the outside.
- When potatoes start to get brown then add saboodana and mix gently. Let it cook for 10 – 15 mins stirring. When the pearls get translucent and shiny sabudana is ready.
- Now it’s time to add crushed peanuts, sugar and salt. Stir and make sure everything gets mixed well.
- In the final step you can add the grated coconut and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Finally hot and delicious saboodana khichdi is ready to eat.