The specialty of Hyderabadi biryani is the brown fried onions which makes its taste distinct from other biryani recipes. It is served by yoghurt dip and is highly appreciable in all festivals and occasions.
1. Rice 2 ½ cups
2. Chicken 1 ½ kg
3. curd 1 cup
4. Mint 1 bunch (sliced)
5. Onions 4 (sliced)
6. Cloves 4
7. Black peppers 6 whole
8. Lemons 6
9. Green cardamoms 8
10. Green chilies 8 (sliced)
11. Oil 1 cup
12. Warm milk 1 cup
13. Yellow color as required
14. Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
15. Red chili powder 1 tbsp
16. All spice powder 1 tsp
17. Salt as per taste
1. Add chicken to a cooking pot along with curd, ginger garlic paste, mint, green chilies, salt, cardamoms, whole black peppers, cloves and red chili powder.
2. Boil till water of pot will dry.
3. Boil rice with salt, cardamoms, green chilies, all spices powder and mint until half cooked.
4. In a separate cooking pot, heat oil and fry sliced onions until golden brown.
5. Take out half of the fried onion and add remaining in the chicken.
6. Make a layer with half of the rice and then place chicken.
7. Top with fried and crushed onion and juice of lemons.
8. Then make a layer of remaining rice and top with sliced mint and a pinch of yellow color dissolved in 1 cup of warm milk.
9. Allow boil until pot is covered with steam.
10.Sprinkle crushed brown onion on top of Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani and serve with curd dip.